I have been using Windows 7 64-bit since its official release in October and have loved everything about it so far. I was surprised at first when my PDFs weren’t getting indexed, but was happy to know that it took very little work to get it to index them in just a few easy steps.
- Verify that PDF files are selected for indexing
- Open the Indexing Options by clicking Start and typing, “indexing options” (without the quotes) and hitting enter
- Click the Advanced button
- Select the File Types tab
- Scroll down to .pdf, which should already be selected, but probably says, “Registered IFilter not found”
- Download and install the Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms
That’s it! You may need to rebuild the index (click click the Rebuild button in the Indexing Options), but afterwards, you should be able to search on PDF content. 32-bit users should be able to index PDFs out of the box.